Field Marshall John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll, 1st Baron Sundridge
2nd and eldest surviving son of General John Campbell, 4th Duke of Argyll and Hon Mary Campbell née Bellenden, Keeper of the Palace of Somerset House (d. 18 Dec 1736), 2nd dau. of John Kerr later Bellenden, 2nd Lord Bellenden of Broughton, by his wife Lady Mary Moore, 2nd dau. of Henry Moore, 1st Earl of Drogheda. He was styled Marquess of Lorne from 15 Apr 1761, when his father succeeded as the 4th Duke of Argyll, till he succeeded as 5th Duke of Argyll on 9 Nov 1770. He is believed to be the first to use the courtesy title "Marquess of Lorne" as heir apparent of the Duke of Argyll.
Born: Jun 1723
Married: 3 Mar 1759 Elizabeth Hamilton, Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Charlotte 1761-84 (bapt. 7 Dec 1733; Created: 20 May 1776 Baroness Hamilton, of Hameldon in the County of Leicester, with remainder to the heirs male of her body; widow of James Hamilton, 6th Duke of Hamilton; d. 20 Dec 1790), 2nd dau. of John Gunning, of Castle Coote, co. Roscommon, by his wife Hon Bridget Bourke, dau. by his first wife of Theobald Bourke, 6th Viscount Mayo
1. Lord George John Campbell, styled Earl of Campbell (b. 17 Feb 1763; dvp. 12 Jul 1764)
2. Lord George William Campbell (b. 22 Sep 1766; d. s.p. 22 Oct 1839), later 3rd Baron Hamilton later 6th Duke of Argyll
3. Lord John Douglas Edward Henry Campbell (b. 21 Dec 1777; d. 25 Apr 1847), later 7th Duke of Argyll
1. Lady Augusta Campbell (b. 31 Mar 1760; d. 22 Jun 1831), married: Col Henry Clavering, 2nd son of Sir John Clavering KB, by his wife Lady Diana West, dau. of Earl De La Warr, and had issue
2. Lady Charlotte Susan Maria Campbell, a Lady in Waiting to Queen Caroline when Princess of Wales (b. 28 Jan 1775; d. 31 Mar 1861), married: (1) 21 Jun 1796 her fourth cousin Col John Campbell MP, 4th of Islay (b. c. 1770; dvp. 15 Mar 1809), 1st son and heir ap. of Walter Campbell, 3rd of Shawfield and Islay and 9th of Skipness, by his first wife Eleanora Ker, dau. of Robert Kerr of Newfield (by his wife Eleanora Nugent), son of Lord Charles Kerr of Cramond (by his wife Janet Murray, 1st dau. of Sir David Murray of Stanhope, 2nd Bt., by his first wife Lady Anne Bruce, 2nd dau. of Alexander [Bruce], 2nd Earl of Kincardine), 2nd son of Robert Kerr, 1st Marquess of Lothian, by his wife Lady Jane Campbell, 2nd dau. of Archibald Campbell, 1st Marquess of Argyll, and (2) 17 Mar 1818 Rev Edward John Bury (d. 1832), and had issue by her first husband
Created: v.p. 22 Dec 1766 Baron Sundridge, of Coomb Bank in the County of Kent, with remainder to his brothers, Frederick and William
Died: 24 May 1806
Succeeded by: second son George William Campbell, 6th Duke of Argyll
Note: Member of Parliament (Whig) for Glasgow Burghs 1744-61 and for Dover 1765-66; Lt Col 1745, Maj General 1759, Lieut General 1765, General 1778 and Field Marshall 1796; Provost of Dunbarton 1754; Aide-de-Camp to the King 1755-59; Col of the 56th Foot 1755-57, of the 14th Dragoons 1757-65, of the 1st Foot 1765-82 and of the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards 1782-1806; Commander in Chief of Scotland 1767-78; Lord Lieutenant of Argyll 1794-1800.